On 06/16/2010 08:27 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Yann Leboulanger<aste...@lagaule.org>  wrote:
On 06/16/2010 08:15 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Peter Saint-Andre<stpe...@stpeter.im>
  wrote:
I just had an interesting conversation with "yagiza" about XEP-0184,
which he has said I can paste here. The general idea is: do we need
something in XEP-0184 to indicate that a message has been read by the
intended recipient? This would be similar to the<displayed/>    element in
XEP-0022. I'm not convinced that we need this feature in XEP-0184, and
tried to explain why to yagiza. Further discussion is welcome on this
list. I've attached the log of my chat with yagiza for context.

The text already says that the receipt isn't sent until the message is
presented to the user, which seems to be exactly the behaviour
discussed - that the message was in the window the user had selected
at the time. So the XEP already covers this.

What it doesn't cover is acking messages as soon as the client has
received them and before they're presented to the user -  we have 198
to do exactly that.

It's not what I understood from this XEP, and it's not what is implemented
in Gajim.

Requirements says "Enable a sender to request notification that an XMPP
message stanza has been received." received here doesn't mean displayed
IMHO.

I think the following text makes it clear, though:
'Specifically, the receiving entity shall return a<received/>  notice
if it has received and processed the message. The term "processed" is
understood to include presentation to a human user if appropriate or
any other application-specific client-side processing'

I think it just means that user has been notified that a message has been received, but not that message has been displayed.

--
Yann