On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Yann Leboulanger <aste...@lagaule.org>wrote:

> Whitespace are very small things

It doesn't matter how small the "things" are, if a single packet causes a
battery-powered device to wake up WiFi and drain battery for a while before
it goes back into a power saving state.  Bursting ten packets isn't likely
to be much more expensive than sending one.

I'm not sure why the server needs to be involved in this, though.
Keepalives should be sent from client to server; that's enough to keep the
TCP connection and, more importantly, any NAT alive.  I don't know why the
server would also send keepalives to the client--and without that there's
nothing to negotiate.

--
Glenn Maynard