On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im> wrote:
> On 1/24/12 11:14 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
> After jabbering with Kev for a bit, here's a follow-up on the status
> code 210 issue (originally raised by Waqas Hussain).
>

> I think Waqas meant that the client needs to listen for status code
> "110" (self-presence) plus "210" (nick changed) but I'm not sure. Waqas,
> please confirm.

Aside: In fact, 210 is completely redundant, as if you receive a 110
from a nick that wasn't what you expected, you know your nick has been
changed, but this isn't relevant here.

> Via IM, Kev pointed out that this should be for self-presence only. I
> think he's right about that, so one of the paragraphs currently in the
> working version is wrong (right after Example 76):
>
>  If the user's nickname is modified by the service as a result of
>  registration and the user is in the room, the service SHOULD include
>  status code "210" in the updated presence notification that it sends
>  to all users.

This was my complaint. Sorry if I was unclear and seemed to be
complaining about the other uses.

> So I propose that we fix the text after Example 76:
>
> OLD
>  If the user's nickname is modified by the service as a result of
>  registration and the user is in the room, the service SHOULD include
>  status code "210" in the updated presence notification that it sends
>  to all users.
>
> NEW
>  If the user's nickname is modified by the service as a result of
>  registration and the user is in the room, the service SHOULD include
>  status code "210" in the updated presence notification that it sends
>  to the user.

+1

> Now, Kev raised another issue, which is that some clients don't properly
> handle presence updates with more than one status code (e.g., they might
> read only the first status code). My reply to that is: fix your client
> or file a bug report.

Oh, fixing the clients is the easy bit, the hard bit is fixing the
servers that only send one status code to work around the buggy
clients... but the extended status code stuff from the other thread
solves that problem.

/K