On 29 May 2012 18:03, Matthew Miller <linuxw...@outer-planes.net> wrote:

> On May 29, 2012, at 10:53, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>> Perhaps that is my diabolical plan! ;-)
>>
>>> I've mentioned before here that this is one of the few changes I would
>>> like to make to the XEP - add an attribute such as probe='true' to
>>> allow the client to ask the server to probe contacts (with the
>>> consequence of not necessarily being so "invisible" any more).
>>
>> That slightly complicates this ultra-simple extension. Since the 'probe'
>> attribute would default to FALSE, I'd be fine with adding this feature
>> (as long as people understand the implications).
>>

> RFC 6121 specifies probes be sent 'from' a bare JID 'to' a bare JID.  I think
> this limits the presence leak severely, but that's my interpretation (-:

It's only a matter of time before someone in the Prosody community
writes a module that fakes available presence for users it receives a
probe from :)

Regards,
Matthew

PS. and it'll only be a short time after that that a module is written
to automatically send probes randomly while the user is offline...