On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im>wrote:

> XEP-0301 says that if it's implemented then it must be advertised, right?

No, it doesn't say that.
But I am thinking of adding that language, to reduce the odds of
accessibility issues.

It is also a technology useful to the mainstream, and I have a portion of
hearing people say they'd use it with other hearing people from time to
time -- whenever they felt in an unusually chatty mood but didn't want to
use audio or video.  (combining the discreetness/quietness of text
messaging, with the advantages of real time conversation)

Paul, of Cisco Systems, have commented XEP-0301 is not an "accessibility
standard" itself, precisely because of its usefulness to the mainstream
market too.

However, it is also an accessibility concern, because it is also used in
accessibility contexts.
And thus, the requirement of advertising support, is pretty compelling --
at least a "strongly RECOMMENDED".

Cheers
Mark Rejhon