On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Mark Rejhon <marky...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you confusing the word "off"?
> -- "off" meaning "stop sending <rtt/>, stop displaying incoming <rtt/>"
> (CORRECT)
> *VERSUS*
> -- "off" meaning stop advertising the existence of XEP-0301 according to
> Section 5   (WRONG)
>
> The vendor was implying "off" meant "completely off", in
> Settings/Preferences/Privacy means stops advertising XEP-0301 in Section 5.
>  We need to clarify section 5 to say that it is not acceptable to stop
> advertising XEP-0301 if you are advertising the existence of other
> interactive conversational modes (i.e. audio/video) ....
>
> An "off" feature SHOULD mean "stop sending <rtt/>, stop displaying
> incoming <rtt/>" .... INSTEAD of stopping advertising support of RTT in
> Section 5... It is acceptable to transmit <rtt event='cancel'/> to tell the
> other side to stop transmitting real-time text.
>
> It's like letting incoming voice call attempts ring-through,
> and preventing incoming text/TTY calls attempts from ringing at all.
> So that's an accessibility issue when you completely turn "off" via
> advertising Section 5.

Note:
It's acceptable if the user intentionally wants to disable real time text.
 But a software developer should not make the default ON for advertising
audio/video support, and default OFF for advertising audio/video support.
  Call-blocking is a user action.

Likewise, metaphorically speaking, the "phone" should have a chance to
"ring" for incoming calls from a deaf person, by default, until the user
decides to opt out (i.e. intentionally put a call block on a class of calls
such as fax calls, calls from deaf people, call from specific numbers, etc).

Equivalently, that's why if software advertises audio/video existence, it
should advertise real-time text existence via Section 5.    The normal way
to turn off "off" should represent "Stop sending <rtt/>, stop displaying
incoming <rtt/>"

....unless there's an intentional desire to completely call-block the
ability of real time text (like a user preference for blocking incoming
audio and video call attempts).  That's an acceptable approach to provide
such a preference.    But the *default* advertising setting should be
equivalent for all interactive means of communications (audio, video, RTT).
 If all are blocked by default, it's fair.  But if audio/video is enabled,
then Section 5 of XEP-0301 MUST be followed.

Metaphorically speaking, what I am saying, is that it should not be the
phone company's responsibility to automatically block certain phone numbers
-- the user should specifically choose to do that.

Mark Rejhon