On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Kevin Smith <ke...@kismith.co.uk> wrote:

> I agree that it's undesirable in most scenarios to completely hide
> useful features from the users. I agree that RTT is a useful tool.
>
> I only disagree with the need to mandate configuration behaviour in
> the XEP - how features are exposed to the users is ultimately not
> something we can dictate.

Fair from a spec perspective...
...There may be situations outside of the context of accessibility.  XMPP
is capable of things that original creators probably didn't think of --
including things like OCR servers (send image, get text), voice
transcription on the web, security alarm systems, etc.

That said, it's also important from a perspective because some government
departments, i.e. (fcc.gov, access-board.gov, ada.gov) are currently
updating policy documents, as well -- demonstrations of XEP-0301 was
provided at FCC text-to-911 panel, and the Access Board is having a meeting
with some key members in the real-time text group -- specifically
surprising us with a request to look at the various technologies.

Perhaps it does little damage of a few programs does not load an XEP-0301
plugin by default (A popular client, Pidgin, doesn't load the audio/video
plugins by default, either),
....but it does a lot of damage to Accessibility if a large company lets
through audio/video to "ring through", but blocks RTT until specifically
turned on by going through several menus.

I've already added one additional sentence to Section 5 of XEP-0301 to
specifically discourage stopping advertising XEP-0301 (using 'SHOULD'
normative) as the /main/ method of turning off or ending an RTT conversation

Mark Rejhon