On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Lance Stout <lancest...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think it's worth including the id on every RTT edit,
> > rather than just the first - it makes the state machine easier for the
> > receiving clients and doesn't hurt the sending client.
>
> +1 on this. Even though the use of the seq value and error detection can
> be used to ensure that the RTT update is still within the context of
> editing a previous message, keeping that context explicit is a good thing
> (and was what my hypothetical version of a XEP-0308 flow was intended to
> accomplish).

I like it, but I don't want to make it required in situations where last
message is not being edited.
Many XMPP libraries are hardcoded to generate an 'id' only at the moment
Over time, this can change.  Therefore, I prefer that 'id' be allowed to be
omitted; the omission of 'id' represents the editing of the most recent
message.

However, it's practical to require 'id' for all <rtt/> elements during
last-message editing, to simplify the state machine for the receiving
client.

With that, I'm strongly in favor of Mark's proposal. It should be a small
> enough section to fit in fine with XEP-0301, and shouldn't slow down its
> progress to draft state, which is a consideration given the broader
> legislative situations.

The only problem is that XEP-0308 would be the ONLY "Experimental" standard
I am referencing, and I'm trying to avoid referencing any experimental
standards at the moment...