On 02/12/2013 02:34 PM, Simon Tennant wrote:
> I understand that you want to do lookup in PEP. I'd be very wary of
> depending on it to build a full scaled social platform.
>
> We tried using PEP to build buddycloud. We created a bunch of nodes for
> each and would push out updates based on presence. This kinda worked
> with the following caveats::
> - it was server specific (any changes to PEP had to be made to each
> server)/you loose the portability of XMPP components
If the features will be described in XEPs any server will be able to
implement them. But they are needed to be interested in it. The interest
may be cause with interesting and powerful user applicable protocols
like XEP-277. But we are really need to make XEP-60 and PEP more usable
for this kind of things.

Also, I already told that we need a standard that will allow services
like PEP to be external like XEP-114 allows gateways to be external. I
still thing this is the most priority task for pubsub development.

> - scaling and performance (this could have been an issue with ejabberd
> at the time).
Yeah, this is an ejabberd issue they are hoping to fix in 3.0.
Unfortunately, we are waiting for 3.0 too long.

> - difficult to build any extra business logic into PEP. For
> example:"this set of users can reply to my posts"
I don't see the problem here technically. This is impossible with
current standards but technically it's not a problem at all.

--
With best regards,
Sergey Dobrov,