Peter Saint-Andre:
> But these days the threat model has changed and I think we need to
> go beyond merely "open" to "trusted". Yes, trust is a slippery
> concept, but in my mind it's connected to things like hardware
> (e.g., PNRGs), build processes, transparency of releases, community
> governance, software that does what the user intends and no more,
> etc. This is something bigger than any particular technology, so
> this list might not be the best place to discuss it. Maybe a blog
> post or new discussion venue is in order...

There are quite a few existing venues for subsets of these topics or
aspects. But none of them so far seems to be appropriate for all of them.

I had hoped that the "assembly" which is being organized for 30C3 in
Hamburg at the end of this year might be a venue but it also is only
about a subset by explicitly rejecting interoperability with
federation based approaches. And for the current organisers improving
existing open standards also is off-topic.

At the same time I am generally not in favor of creating new venues if
existing ones can be used by extending their charter.

Something for FOSDEM 2014 ?

Cheers,
Andreas