On 2014-06-23 15:03, Evgeny Khramtsov wrote:
> Mon, 23 Jun 2014 12:11:35 +0100
> Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net> wrote:
>
>> On 23 June 2014 11:44, Evgeny Khramtsov <xramt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 1) servers hold too much state
>>>

>> What state do you think they hold that they should not?
>
> CAPs cache for example.

Prosody for one doesn't actually cache caps.  Our PEP module caches a
set of nodes of interest, but not the full caps.  We've been considering
implementing full caching of disco#info/caps, would be interesting to
have the server reply to disco#info queries with cached data.

And Jabber/XMPP was designed as a thin client - fat server system.
So there will be lots of state on the server.

>>> 2) clients receive too much data
>>>

>> By "too much data", do you mean irrelevant data or redundant data, or
>> something else?
>
> 1) It's quite pointless to route a stanza with feature X to a client if
> a client doesn't support this feature X.

When does this happen?  Other clients should check with disco#info and
caps if the client supports things before sending them.

> 2) We route shitload of presences to a client. On and on this goes.

Presence de-duplication would be very interesting to implement.  As in,
only route presence that differs from the previous one.

--
Kim "Zash" Alvefur