On 6 January 2016 at 13:00, Peter Waher <peterwa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Travis, Steven, Goffi, Andreas & others
>
> Thanks for your input. My responses below:
>
>> Isn't the point of markdown that it's perfectly readable as plain text,
>> ie that there is no markup? I'd think sending straight markdown would
>> be just fine.
>
> The point of markdown is that it's easy to write and edit (focus is not
> reading, even though it's somewhat readable as well). I thought about
> sending markdown just as-is as well, but after thinking about it for a while
> decided against it.

Sorry, this is definitely incorrect.

From the author's site ( https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/ ):

"Markdown allows you to write using an easy-to-read, easy-to-write
plain text format [...]"

and

"The overriding design goal for Markdown’s formatting syntax is to
make it as readable as possible. The idea is that a Markdown-formatted
document should be publishable as-is, as plain text, without looking
like it’s been marked up with tags or formatting instructions."

If you ask me, the best thing to do here would be to define a way to
declare a message's body explicitly as being in Markdown syntax. Then
clients will ignore that tag it and display it as text, unless they
understand the tag, then they'll know they can run it through a
Markdown processor and display a formatted version.

Alternatively, if it's just about easier input, support Markdown on
the sending side and use XHTML-IM. I don't think we really need more
ways of formatting messages.

Regards,
Matthew