On 31 October 2016 at 19:43, Daniel Gultsch <dan...@gultsch.de> wrote:
>> Once a XEP is a XEP, it's owned by the XSF, and not the author. Prior to
>> that, it is not owned by the XSF, and the XSF has no opinion on the matter
>> except that on submission as a XEP, any authors agree to transfer ownership,
>> perfecting as required, to the XSF.
>

> So the 'author approval' we generally seek when trying to change an
> existing XEP is just being nice?

Well, nice, yes. But it's also useful to avoid people clobbering each
other and duplicating effort. The assumption was always that changes
are proposed and discussed on the mailing list, and the author writes
up the result - direct patches were therefore an exception to be
handled. This has shifted in various ways, but the essential idea -
that the author "maintains" the spec based on discussion - should
still hold.

But note that there's a horrible grey area we might want to get the
next Board to look into in cases like this, when there's a protoXEP
being (effectively) worked on within the XSF repository. The original
XEP was rejected on the grounds of - as I recall - IPR issues. But
these having been resolved, further work is now not yet owned by the
XSF, so licensing is very unclear, and becomes less clear with each
edit.

I don't know what Board might do here; it might be that Council are
advised to lean toward accepting more XEPs in order to avoid IPR
issues even when there's a strong feeling that the work should
progress no further, or it might be that we move the assignment to the
point of submission rather than the point of acceptance (ie, a change
to XEP-0001). Or something else.