You're not promising anything, it's just a hint that the other side should
automatically delete a message. If anything, it's most useful that it
auto-deletes it from your own device from the perspective of physical
security. You can phrase it as "Request automatic deletion" to make it more
clear that you don't control the other end.

People already have a casual understanding that you can't completely
enforce message deletion. People take photos of snapchats and other
ephemeral messages all the time. I think it would even be useful to have a
way to manually save a message marked as ephemeral before it disappears,
without needing to take a photo for instance, because the camera roll is
even less secure.

Here's a short list of messaging apps with ephemeral features:
* Snapchat
* Facebook Messenger
* Signal
* Wire
* Wickr

Sending ephemeral messages doesn't have to be about privacy, data security,
etc. Some people just think it's fun.