Hey list,

On Montag, 20. Februar 2017 02:00:49 CET Steve Kille wrote:
> > * Steve Kille <steve.ki...@isode.com> [2017-02-13 12:55]:
> > > 8. Use example JIDs aligned to anticipated BIND2 format. These are
> > > long!
> >
> > I think it's a bad idea to do this in examples for developers. It is hard
> > enough already to remember the bare JIDs of multiple parties and their
> > interactions, having the additional burden of mapping 256 bits of
> > pseudo-randomness to individual clients is really counterproductive.
> >
> > Examples should be readable first, and there is really no need to have
> > UUID/UUIDs in them.
>
> [Steve Kille]
>
> Short readable examples are desirable.
>
> The old examples, such as "/pda" are of a form that is likely to be
> deprecated moving forward.
>
> I think it is important that the MIX spec uses examples aligned to current
> recommendations, even if there is some impact on readability.
>
> I've modified the note to make clear that when the recommendation is
> finalized, that MIX will be updated to align, and that shorter examples
> will be used if this is in lie with the recommentations.
>
> My sense is that the following is larger than it needs to be:
>
> hag66@shakespeare.example/d104f6a7-97e9-477f-8947-e4a37691d7ee/7533375f-2cd
> 1-4455-a311-494bab21f9f0
>
> However,  I will let those working in BIND2 decide what is sensible

So this seems like a general issue. What are the opinions on that, especially
from the BIND2 folks?

I feel that using BIND2 resources---albeit this is likely to become the new
standard---harms readability a lot. However, I can also see that using
examples which do not fit the current standards lead to developers
implementing the wrong things, such as clients which encourage the use of
descriptive and user-chosen resources.

I think a middle-way is needed here, and I do not have a good idea how to
address this. Referring to BIND2 or any document describing why per-client
resourcees are a bad idea at any use of resources does not scale; having it
only at the top of a document *might* work if its highlighted as NOTE; having
it in a best-practices document has the risk that those who would need to read
it do not read it.

Any suggestions?

best regards,
Jonas