Am 25.05.2017 um 13:57 schrieb Matthew Hodgson:

> But if OMEMO-using-libsignal has critical mass already, I completely
> get the concerns over disrupting the existing ecosystem over 'just' a
> licensing issue, and perhaps the work would be better spent writing an
> liberal-licensed ratchet which is absolutely 100% compatible with
> libsignal (including XEdDSA) etc.  This could be by extending/forking
> Olm to use XEdDSA, or if you're feeling completely masochistic, a
> whole new implementation.  Then folks on OMEMO-using-libsignal would
> be able to talk happily to folks on
> OMEMO-using-liberal-licensed-DR-implementation, and everyone's happy
> (i think?)

Thats the idea of Andys ODR spec; decoupling the xep from libsignal/olm
to allow any library to be used.

> For the record, if someone did jump through the hoops to make Olm talk
> XEdDSA we'd probably consider using it on the Matrix side (both to
> avoid a fork, and to help pool crypto resources between XMPP & Matrix,
> and keep compatibility with folks who want to use GPL-licensed
> libsignal, etc).

Thats great news :) Also this indicates that there is more interest in
XEdDSA than just from within the "Signal-OMEMO"-community.

> (In other news, I saw Remko mention elsewhere that an advantage of Olm
> might be using Megolm-style semantics for XMPP.  I'd caution that
> Megolm is very much experimental still, and we're not sure all the
> design decisions are optimal.  More importantly, it's completely
> decoupled from Olm, despite the name, and could be layered on top of a
> libsignal-managed 1:1 channel just as much as an olm-managed one).

Thanks for the clarification on this one.

Am 25.05.2017 um 10:47 schrieb Dave Cridland:

> But it looks rather strongly as if every extant implementation of
> OMEMO is simply a wrapper around a single crypto implementation.

Than what's the difference when the XEP is switched over to use Olm?
What would that change aside from another single crypto implementation
being used?

Vanitasvitae