Thank you all for the thorough discussion in this thread. I don't usually
post around here because things can get a little... heated. We're all on
the same team here, and all want to see widespread, decentralized adoption
of the best end-to-end crypto.

In an ideal world, an open specification for AxolotlV2/V3 would have been
released years ago, leading to at least a few alternative wire-compatible
libraries with permissive licenses by now. Because of the IP issues, there
was a big delay getting something permissive out there... so we're stuck in
this mess together.

Olm was very new and experimental, and not really ready for production back
when OMEMO was being formed, so the original specification being written
for AxolotlV3 can't really be considered malicious tricks to force everyone
to use GPL software. Because of the IP issues of GPLv3+iOS for
SignalProtocol, we were very close to forking OMEMO to use Olm before there
was even much discussion about it. Our choice to use SignalProtocol wasn't
to help force adoption of a GPL'd encumbered standard.. it was dictated by
a grant we wrote over a year earlier, and we had no option but to use
libsignal-protocol-c once it was relicensed for GPL+ App Store.

I don't have opposition to using Olm for any other reason than it will be
costly to rewrite all of the existing clients. There isn't any funding for
us to rewrite for Olm just to gain permissive license purity. Even if we
started fundraising for that now, grants can lag up to a year, or get
declined. I think that a permissively licensed alternative to using OWS's
libraries would be best for long term adoption, so if there's a way we can
make that happen involving the least amount of code changes, that would be
ideal.