On 6 September 2017 at 08:29, Evgeny Khramtsov <xramt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is, last time I checked[1], one third of ejabberd servers
> were running ancient versions, like 5 years old or more. There are also
> lots of jabberd servers, not sure they have any registration protection
> at all. Seems like we need to punish a lot of servers in order to
> tighten things up.
>
> [1]
> https://chatlogs.jabber.ru/ejabb...@conference.jabber.ru/2017/03/02.html#15:42:12.564438

I think if we aimed to tighten everything instantly, then it'd simply
cut off half (or more) of the federated network.

Is there a halfway house we could do? Like if you're on an
old/insecure/whatever server, subscriptions would return a warning,
perhaps?

It'd be useful, I think, just to be able to collect spammer jids and
run some analysis, too - my gut feeling is that the source domains
will have open IBR and other "loose" security, but it's not clear that
anyone has performed any real study of common factors.

Dave.