On 22 September 2017 at 15:58, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im> wrote:

> On 9/22/17 5:50 AM, Guus der Kinderen wrote:
> > I suggest to improve the wording of this XEP by replacing the command
> > name "STARTTLS" with the technique name "Opportunistic TLS".
>
> "Opportunistic Security" usually means encryption without authentication:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7435

To me, that wouldn't be a problem. "Security" is rather generic, distinct
from the very specific "TLS".

I've also seen "Opportunistic Encryption" being used, described as
"Opportunistic encryption (OE) refers to any system that, when connecting
to another system, attempts to encrypt the communications channel,
otherwise falling back to unencrypted communications."

I still favor "Opportunistic TLS" over "STARTTLS" in this text - but adding
a clear description to the glossary would be good.