On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 6:57 PM Sam Whited <s...@samwhited.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2017, at 12:37, Ivan Vučica wrote:
> >
> > On 26 September 2017 at 14:47:27, Sam Whited (s...@samwhited.com) wrote:
> >
> > As others have said, the real naming problem is "draft". We can't
> > actively advance draft as much (since final really is final and can't be
> > touched ever again)
> > Is that a bad thing?
>
> To be clear, the fact that the name "draft" confuses people into
> thinking it's something that's not yet ready is a bad thing, not the
> fact that draft takes a long time to advance (which is a good thing).
>
> > Conversely, is it a good thing that certain XEPs have changed a lot since
> > the first draft?
>
> Your use of the phrase "the first draft" illustrates my point. I am not
> sure what you meant by that, if you meant "the first revision in the
> Draft status" then XEPs should not have changed a lot. If you mean "the
> first published revision of an XEP in Experimental", then it's not a bad
> thing that they've changed a lot, that's just the development process.

Don't get me wrong, I would be in favor of replacing draft with something
else. I am just not sure "we don't want to mark XEPs final as we can't
change them later" is a valid reason.

Maybe there should be more effort to actually make XEPs final and backwards
compatible, especially since many clients and servers claim compatibility
with XEPs, not with revisions of XEPs.

If I search today for software that implements XEP-0313, I often cannot
know if it'll actually be compatible with my server without digging into
the code and seeing that, ah, no, it's not compatible -- it has no support
for :2 namespace.

For searchability, I would have been happier if incompatible namespace
changes were made in a new XEP.

And now, to bikeshed a bit on the proposed naming: To a casual reader,
stable has similar implications as final. Especially if said reader is used
to Debian's use of the word.

Perhaps something like "ready" or, to borrow Debian conventions, "testing",
would be better?