On 09/25/2017 06:57 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On 25 September 2017 at 06:06, Travis Burtrum <tra...@burtrum.org> wrote:
>>
>> Conversations has had support since before this became a XEP actually.
>>
>> Everyone I know of has implemented the server-side of the c2s connection
>> either with a dedicated xmpp-over-TLS port, or using sslh to multiplex
>> on ALPN.  Debian even has an (unfortunately-named) section of their wiki
>> on installing prosody about it [1].
>>
>> I also count 21 public servers on this test chart that have support [2].
>>

> Do those all support SNI? I think SNI is critically important here
> (and it's a MUST in the specification).

I'm not sure exactly which you are asking questions about, so I'll just
mention them all.

1. Yes Conversations supports SNI[1] and ALPN[2] where available.  These
are guaranteed to be in android 4.2 and 4.4 respectively, and *might* be
supported earlier depending on vendor.  According to the stats[3] this
means ~92% of androids currently in use support both.

2. SSLH will multiplex on both ALPN and SNI, prosody doesn't support SNI
on it's 'legacy_ssl_ports' (name needs changed...), though there was an
unfinished patch floating around.

3. My guess is most of those host a single domain and don't need SNI.

[1]:
https://github.com/siacs/Conversations/blob/master/src/main/java/eu/siacs/conversations/utils/SSLSocketHelper.java#L33
[2]:
https://github.com/siacs/Conversations/blob/master/src/main/java/eu/siacs/conversations/utils/SSLSocketHelper.java#L45