On Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 08:43, vaibhav singh wrote:
> some XMPP clients send their own pings whose timeouts
> cannot be configured. This results in ping-pong packets coming and going
> around a lot, and awkward interactions (the client may think that the
> server is down but server may not, in case client timeout is less than
> server timeout).

This sounds like you're doing regular pings on a timer. I suspect it
would be easier to only send a ping if you haven't heard anything from
the client in some configurable amount of time (reset your timer any
time you get any data from the client), then these issues won't arrise.
If the client is sending regular pings, you know it's online because it
pinged you.

—Sam