On 05.10.2017 11:20, Kevin Smith wrote:
> I’m not sure that the sides need to agree on timeouts. As long as each side
> does sensible pinging (only when the stream is silent) and not blindly every
> X seconds, they can both satisfy whatever their own requirements are.> That
> effectively leads to the same result as negotiation,

No it does not.

> as the shorter timeout wins, pretty much.

Correct, which could lead to the pathological case where the server
pings the mobile device while it is asleep, causing it to wake up.
Agreeing on an inactivity timeout, as I described, would prevent that.
Which is what you usually want in most cases where XMPP is used with a
mobile client.

- Florian