On Tue, 2017-11-14 at 18:06 +0000, Dave Cridland wrote:
> But it's also a compromise without effect - every existing
> implementation fo S2S I can find, excepting Microsoft Lync, supports
> XEP-0114 "accept" components.
>
> So arguing over whether it's a Core, Advanced, or neither feature
> seems a bit pointless - except that it means XEP-0387 may reflect
> neither the current reality nor any particular desirable future.

Alternatively can servers that don't support federation be considered
compliant with XMPP in any meaningful sense?

For instance the ojsxc[1] app in Nextcloud installs a minimal local
only xmpp server that seems to only support the jabber:iq:roster,
jabber:client, and vcard-temp namespaces.

XEP 387 has specialized client compliance suites, you could also
consider specifiying a server suite to specify what is needed to
"support federation".

Diane

[1] https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/ojsxc