On 7 Dec 2017, at 08:03, Jonas Wielicki <jo...@wielicki.name> wrote:

> On Mittwoch, 6. Dezember 2017 17:03:16 CET Kevin Smith wrote:

>>> I don't think the two weeks matters necessarily but everyone on the
>>> council now was previously a member and could have given feedback. If
>>> they didn't then, I don't see why being on the council would make a
>>> difference.
>>
>> It’s the opposite case that xep1 is concerned with. A Council member might
>> decide not to give feedback on standards@, knowing that they can give such
>> feedback when voting, and such when they’re not on Council their
>> not-yet-voiced comments might fail to be heard.
>
> FWIW, in a first and second iteration of thought, I think we should try to
> change the relevant passage of XEP-0001.
>
> It encourages council members (and to say this to begin with: I doubt that
> anyone from current or previous council actually did that, at least not with
> malicious intent) to delay their feedback until the voting process, at which
> point the community has no way to reasonably address that feedback (be it
> negative or positive) with remarks which may have been overlooked and taken
> for granted (thus not mentioned) by others.
>
> This could invoke a feeling of "not being heard" in the community, which I
> think could be very detrimental.
>
> So encouraging that behaviour by means of XEP-0001, I think we should not.
>
> Looking forward to the third iteration of thought :-) (i.e. what you think).

I think not re-issuing LC actually has the opposite effect, and reduces public
feedback.

Take this case, for instance. I am newly on Council, so I didn’t review this
XEP thoroughly as part of the LC, now I have reviewed it more thorougly and I
have feedback, so there are two possible outcomes:

1) The LC is reissued and I send out my Council feedback publicly in response
to the LC. There’s a clear path to addressing feedback.
2) The LC isn’t reissued, it goes straight to vote and I just -1 in the Council
meeting.

There’s the additional risk that if the LC isn’t reissued that new Council
members feel pressured to just +1 and not do their jobs reviewing XEPs that
came up before the previous Council because of a sense of completing previous
Council’s work. I’d have thought avoiding the potential for Council to feel
pressured to not do their job is worth keeping this text in xep1 for.

/K