On 2020/06/01, Jonas Schäfer wrote:
> [..]
>
> First off, as Dave mentioned already (and as "everyone" will already know),
> arguably this is deployed very widely. And not because of '393, specifically,
> but because people have been using these types of metamarkers for so long
> already that nobody could possibly trace it down to a single source. In a
> way,
> they are similar to quotation marks; they’ve become part of an additional
> grammar used by many people throughout the internet.
>
> There are "cultural dialects" (e.g. the various markdown flavors), but there
> is basic compatibility. Pinning down the XMPP dialect of this is a good`
> thing™.

I disagree. I think this is a bad idea and that we shouldn't endorse
this as the XSF. XMPP is not a product line, it's a protocol. What
specific sigils are being used (as input format) shouldn't be enforced
at the protocol level.

> However, we need a way forward which will not have to rely on transmitting
> these markers on the wire. And we also need to be able to deal with entities
> which send text which is strongly not intended to be formatted based on those
> markers.
>
> With the proposed mandatory opt-in and opt-out solution, we get both of that.
> I *hope* that clients which unambiguously support '393 will start to add the
> opt-in so that the default behaviour (in absence of any marker) can move back
> from "styled" to "unstyled". In addition, should we ever have to iterate on
> this document (either in a new XEP or in this thing while it’s in draft), we
> now have a wire format element of which the namespace can be bumped.

> On Montag, 1. Juni 2020 10:23:37 CEST Dave Cridland wrote:
> > [..]
> > If we have a hint and (approximately) the text above in the specification,
> > is this enough to make people... if not actually happy, at least willing to
> > grudgingly accept the document?

The proposed changes are indeed better than 393 as is for reasons jonas
mentioned.

These changes de facto make the XEP an opt-out XEP though, as long as
the default is to interpret <body/> for markup.

--
Maxime “pep” Buquet