Sorry, last rapid reply to my own email, I promise:

Apparently there is U+2060: word joiner which is the exact same thing as
a ZWSP except that it implies no line breaks. This has just about
exactly the semantics we want, and seems like it would be a good
candidate for how you disable styling on a specific piece of text.

I think I would prefer to have this over something that has to be
namespaced and registered. It's more flexible, would make it easier to
implement eg. a toolbar with bold and italic buttons (things get styled
by default if you type them, if you highlight the whole thing and remove
the styling it could cycle through just removing the styling but leaving
the *'s, or removing the *'s etc.

What do others think?

—Sam

--