Hi,

On 06.01.2023 11:01, Kevin Smith wrote:
My earlier iteration of the PR did include a mechanism to fetch the available
emojis (and rules, eg 1 emoji per reacter per message), but after discussion
with Marvin (author), we decided that it's a bad idea, since, as you said, most
instances are probably happy to accept any reactions.
I guess the question is "Do we want 'normal' services to be able to have limited emoji sets?". If we do, then requiring users to keep sending reactions and getting errors back until they find one that's supported is clearly not a reasonable approach. If we don't, are we happy that the experience interacting with transports is basically going to suck?

Is it going to suck that bad, if the transport replies with an error
message containing the set of allowed emoji? I do not think it is
a terrible limitation, and for people who mostly interact with
transports, their client/OS will show first the emojis they usually
use, which will mostly be from the limited set.

I do see the value on communicating a restricted set if clients have
inline interface only showing preconfigured emoji (like signal does),
requiring the user to click on the button for additional emojis each
time if the ones allowed by the gateway are not in there.

Cheers,
Mathieu