------ Original Message ------
From "Mathieu Pasquet" <mathi...@mathieui.net>
To "Kevin Smith" <kevin.sm...@isode.com>; "XMPP Standards" <standards@xmpp.org>
Date 06/01/2023 15:44:50
Subject Re: [Standards] XEP-0444 update: restrict reactions

Hi,

On 06.01.2023 11:01, Kevin Smith wrote:
My earlier iteration of the PR did include a mechanism to fetch the available
emojis (and rules, eg 1 emoji per reacter per message), but after discussion
with Marvin (author), we decided that it's a bad idea, since, as you said, most
instances are probably happy to accept any reactions.
I guess the question is "Do we want 'normal' services to be able to have limited
emoji sets?". If we do, then requiring users to keep sending reactions and getting
errors back until they find one that's supported is clearly not a reasonable approach. If
we don't, are we happy that the experience interacting with transports is basically going
to suck?

Is it going to suck that bad, if the transport replies with an error
message containing the set of allowed emoji?
Well, given there's no reason for it (it would be trivial to advertise that emoji are restricted in disco), why would we choose a poor UX (ever if you think 'suck' is too strong, I don't think anyone is going to argue that it's good UX for the client to allow you to do something, and then after you've done it say "I shouldn't have let you do that") when we can trivially have a better one.

If clients want to ignore the restriction and allow users to choose an emoji and just see if it works, there's nothing stopping them doing so, but by having disco and some fetch iq, we allow clients that want to present a good UX to do so.

I do see the value on communicating a restricted set if clients have
inline interface only showing preconfigured emoji (like signal does),
requiring the user to click on the button for additional emojis each
time if the ones allowed by the gateway are not in there.
Right. Having a mechanism to query this allows such a client to be produced, but doesn't enforce it - and adding an extra feature to disco and an extra IQ is very little effort in any client, server, library, transport or bot I've worked on.

/K