On Wed, 2024-05-29 at 13:02 +0000, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:

> A 1:1 chat *is* a groupchat with two participants. It's not a MUC but
> as you
> quoted the XEP says it doesn't have to be.

The XEP says that clients can assume it is MUC, but that it doesn't
have to be.

It has to be a "chatroom of any particular groupchat protocol". While
you are free to argue that 1:1 chats are groupchats of a group of two
and therefor regular chat messages form a groupchat protocol, I doubt
it was intended that way by the authors (neither in XEP-0402 nor in any
other XEP).

What makes it still clear in the XEP, is that the bookmark must be of a
*chatroom* of a groupchat protocol, and a regular user JID is certainly
not a chatroom.

The XEP is clearly hinting and a successor of MUC (like MIX) being
potentially using it. Not that you use it for 1:1 chats.

If there is really confusion about this and the word groupchat and
you're not trying to make this up to retrofit this XEP, I suggest we
put some official definitions of terms popularly used in XEPs up
somewhere.