On Wed, 2024-05-29 at 08:57 -0500, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:

> I disagree. I think it is a chatroom.

A user is not a chatroom. A chatroom is something where users join and
leave and send messages to that are received by other currently joined
users in the room.

I have never heard of someone suggesting that a user is a chatroom or a
user's personal JID is a chatroom JID or anything like this. In no
other context we have previously understood user JIDs as groupchat
chatrooms.

> and bookmarking 1:1 chats doesn't violate anything the XEP already
> requires an implementation to deal with (namely, that the groupchat
> may use
> a protocol other than MUC).

This is not true. A valid client may be assuming it's a MUC (again: the
XEP clearly says that client's can just assume it's a MUC, they just
must be able to handle if it is not) and if it can't join the room
using the MUC protocol, it must assume it's a chat room that uses any
other groupchat protocol. If we don't specify that traditional direct
XMPP IM is a groupchat protocol (which again, I strongly think it isn't
and if we do want to understand it as such, we should make it
explicit), this means a valid client that only supports MUC and direct
XMPP IM must assume that it doesn't support interaction with that JID
at all, if it fails to join using the MUC protocol and may validly stop
the user from sending direct XMPP IM messages to that JID.