> Enclosed is the latest draft of P1619 (D4).

Hello,

First of all, I'd like to point out that I'm just a
bystander, not a member of the P1619 group. I've read
the latest P1619 draft (disk) and would like to
comment on it.

Regarding Appendinx C.3 p.26:

It says:
"When using AES as the underlying block cipher, we
have n=128 and the expression 3q**2/2**n would be
small
enough as long as q is not much more than 2**40."

I believe the last figure is incorrect. The last
sentence should read: "as long as q is not much more
than 2**63."

Here is the substantiation: q**2/2**n is the birthday
paradox limit for a PRP. The LRW mode limit is
3q**2/2**n, that is: 3(q**2)/2**n. Obviously, the LRW
bound is only 3 times smaller than the birthday bound.
Hence, for LRW bound, the max. q should be
((2**64)**2)/3  =  ~2**63.2

Therefore, I would suggest removing the sentence that
directly follows:

"This means that practically speaking there should be
no problem using the same key to encrypt a terabyte of
data (which gives q=2**36 blocks), but one probably
should not be using the same key for a petabyte of
data (2**46 blocks)."

And also in Appendinx C.5 Miscellaneous I would
suggest removing this paragraph:

"As discussed above, typically one should not use a
single cryptographic key for more than a few dozen
terabytes of data. We note that this limitation is not
unique to this standard. It comes directly from the
fact that AES has block size of 128 bits. This
limitation is not mitigated by using AES with a
256-bit
key."

The reason for the removal would be the fact that
2**63 blocks is more than one hundred thousand
exabytes, which does not seem realistic to be reached
before LRW-AES is superseded by something even more
advanced.

Regards,
Ian Malik