--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The birthday paradox says, that choosing k entries
> (with repetitions) from n different ones gives a
> collision with the approximate probability
> 3 k^2 / (2n).

Actually, the birthday paradox says that it is likely
that you will find a collision after 2**(n/2) querries
to n-bit oracle. Hence, the attacker's advantage is
q**2/2**n, which must be < 1. This is the upper bound.
For LRW, this bound is three times lower. Therefore,
we take (q**2)/3, which gives us (2**64**2)/3 =
~2**62.2**2

The _upper_ bound for LRW is therefore ~2**62.2
querries (blocks).

The _lower_ bound cannot be determined. Therefore,
~2**39 appears to be based on hand waving. If you
disagree, then where did 10^-9 come from? How do you
explain this value? What is it based on? Why not
10^-10? How is it substantiated?

If AES-LRW was specified to be usable only for not
more "than a few dozen terabytes of data" then it
would soon be useless.

Regards,
Ian Malik