Hi Matt,

Thanks for taking the time to clarify this issue with NIST.

I just want to add one remark, drawn from personal experience, which concurs with Serge's previous email.

While LRW-AES is not an approved mode, I believe implementations of LRW have been approved for FIPS 140-2 as part of crypto modules by considering it as preprocessing of the plaintext and postprocessing of the ciphertext, instead of a new mode. - A rather ridiculous distinction I agree, but which seems to be fine with (some, most?) FIPS labs -
So as far as I know it does not preclude FIPS certification of the module, and while using LRW-AES, the module stays in FIPS mode. You just won't see LRW-AES as an approved mode on the final FIPS certificate.

In any case, I do agree that submitting it to NIST would be a good solution to clear up all those doubts.

Regards,
Cyril
--
Cyril Guyot