I would like some references to the claims in the introduction. My reason for asking about such is that it is important that we (IEEE) standardize what is right, not what is politically in vogue at a moment in history. The I in IEEE is for International. Additionally, I am interested in which market? Anyway, references to the claims of this paragraph should be provided.

Access control not just can be provided, but it is required by the export control authorities,

Reference?

and also by many local authorities,

Reference?

where storage devices are sold. If the encrypted data is freely accessible, the encryption module can be used as a stand alone, high-speed encryption processor, which is prohibited in many markets.

Reference of the regulation and any example of a storage encryption device where the "encryption module can be used as a stand alone, high-speed encryption processor" in such a way that it violates a law?

I have looked for information on the web about this kind of information. There is a summary done in 1998, but I have found nothing online more recent.
        http://www.gilc.org/crypto/crypto-survey.html