Very cool explanation! Wow. Very unexpected.Thanks!

On May 25, 2006, at 6:58 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

To get export rights for the Seagate drives, the drive can not allow a way
for the encrypted data to be read.

If one was to do a normal sector write and then do a read-long command, they could use the drive as a cryptographic co-processor. With tape the encrypted data is also readable, and could be considered a cryptographic co-processor. One difference with tape is that the machines sell in lower quantities and to large customers, for disc drives there is a much higher quantity and it is easy for anyone to get one (go to your local store).

An encrypting tape machine is a $10K (I don't know the real numbers)
cryptographic co-processor.  A disc drive could be a $75 cryptographic
co-processor. That is why there are export controls on the disc drive.

Don

james hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
No Phone Info Available
05/24/2006 10:57 PM

Gary Calder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Gideon Avida <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Landon Noll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc
james hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED], SISWG
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Serge Plotkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject
Re: Next P1619/1619.1 Meeting -> Discussion Doc D0.7

I basically agree what Gary suggests. Sun Microsystems has achieved
export approval for several products and I do not remember text that
requires "access control". The definitions of "Open Cryptographic
Interface" is indeed an interesting one. I doubt that a disk drive
with encryption but without access control would be considered an
"open cryptographic interface". It is my understanding that open
cryptographic interface applies to software APIs and chips, not where
someone has to open a device to harvest the crypto chip (where access
control can make that difficult).

The response about China is correct, but irrelevant to the access
control issue. The way I read this, they will not let it in, period,
access control or not.

Again. I think that the other storage encryption vendors should chime
in for both disk and tape. I assume that they are selling
internationally!

jim