The Pioneer Press editorial about the recent history
of downtown St. Paul must have been written by someone
with either no memory of the place or an agenda that
requires rewriting history. They said:

"...15 years ago ... . The city was a ghost town — and
that was just at the noon hour."

Well, I worked downtown at 50 West Kellogg Blvd. from
1969 till 1994. Believe me, there was much more
activity downtown in those days than there is today.
There were clothing stores, grocery stores, camera
shops, travel agents, florists and even a butcher to
name just a few of the amenities that were then
available and that have been lost. I was able to do a
good deal of my shopping on the lunch hour. All of
this is now gone. Recently, we've seen a few good, but
expensive, restaurants established. There may be some
nightlife returning to downtown but anyone who says
that St. Paul is livlier at noon today than it was 15
years ago simply doesn't know what they're talking
about, or doesn't want others to know what it used to
be like.

Charlie Swope
Ward 1