Yep, John.

Year after year there is are people supposedly working on developing a Wabasha Street retail spine. But now with the ongoing conversion of the WTC's Wabasha Street frontage to MnSCU offices, I am growing increasingly concerned that my erstwhile downtown retail advocates are selling me out in favor of using retail as a way to get buy in to Trooien's Bridges dream.

In 2002, we spent $6 million of our tax money renovating Marshall Field's - next door to the WTC - and were promised "spinoffs". Unless the IRS Help Center in the WTC counts, I can't think of any.

In the early 1990s, we brought the Children's Museum downtown, in part to support the retail district. I don't think it was brought there just to complement a couple fast food counters.

In 1996, we spent $3 million on the WTC, and gave them purchase rights to the adjoining 12 story ramp, and taxpayers were told it was to help redevelop retail there. Too bad the City didn't actually require any retail redevelopment. Hmmmm. That might be why I can count the number of current retailers at the WTC on one hand...see below. (also see http://www.citypages.com/databank/19/930/article6187.asp for background).

With a record like this, I wonder what kind of retail renaissance we won't get for a $90 million subsidy to Jerry Trooien at the Bridges. Riverplace and St. Anthony Main may pale in comparsion.

Bob Spaulding
Downtown

PS John and Charlie aren't imagining anything. There was far more shopping to do, in 1991 at least (though not completely the format I'd prefer)...

1991 WTC RETAIL TENANTS - FROM A CITY DIRECTORY:
Waldenbooks, Hotline, Ficocello’s,Candy Coach, Musicland, Suncoast Pictures, Hotline, Caren Charles, Clair's Botique, County Seat, Eddie Bauer, Etcetera!, J. W., Justers, Lane Bryant, Lerner, Limited Express, Mark Henri, Motherhood Maternity, Oaktree, Pasta, Paul Harris, Petite Sophisticate, Sans Souci, Suncoast Pictures, The Company Store, The Gap, Victoria's Secret, Heartthrob Café, San Antonio Grill, Spazzo, Radio Shack, Woodlane Flowers, Ashles Gallery, Arcadia, Clair's Botique, Hoffritz for Cutlery, Paper Parade, The Canary & the Elephant, The Company Store, Hallmark, Paper Parade, Bridgeman's, Finishing Touch, Time-Rite, Hotline, Black's Photography, Au Bon Pain, Ding How, Hardee's, Heartthrob Café, Not Just Yogurt, Pizza Hut, San Antonio Grill, Subway, The Great Steak & Fry Company, Station Shoes, Baker Shoes, Naturalizer, Station Shoes, Complete Athlete, Eddie Bauer, World Theater, American Express

2005 WTC RETAIL TENANTS - WHAT $3 MILLION AND A PARKING RAMP BUYS:
McDonald's, Subway, Asian Max, Charlie's Convenience, St. Paul Rare Coin

And for John Birrenbach's benefit...

1991 TOWN SQUARE RETAIL TENANTS - FROM A CITY DIRECTORY:
St. Paul Book and Stationery, Metropolitan Federal Bank, City Looks by the Barbers, B. Dalton Bookseller, White Way, Berman's, the Leather Experts, Braun's Fashions, Casual Corner, Foot Locker, Foreman & Clark, Sock Market, Bachman's, Accent Minnesota, St. Paul Book & Stationery, Scribbles & Giggles, St Paul Book & Stationery, Brooks & Bowman, Holiday Inn Town Square, Baskin Robbins Ice Cream, Pizazz, Princess, St. Paul Book & Stationery, Town Square Ramp, Proex, Federal Express, St. Paul Information Center, St. Paul Skyway Library, 1 Potato 2, Arby's, Athen's Greece, EXECUTIVE COFFEE & TEA (My Emphasis), Le Peep, McDonald's, Mrs. Field's, Muffin Man, Sbarro, Taco Bell, Fleet's Plus, Smile Happy Shoe Shine, Cobble Shop, Fifth Street Bootery, Florsheim, Foot Locker, Foot Locker, Cafesjian's Carosuel, Carson Pirie Scott Department Store

2005 TOWN SQUARE RETAIL TENANTS:
Cousins Subs, George's Shoe Repair, ProEx, Caribou Coffee, D. Brian's, Square Express, Capitol City Market Cafe, Taco Loco-------------------------------------------------
JOIN the St. Paul Issues Forum TODAY:
http://www.e-democracy.org/stpaul/