Nikolaos,

Thank you for the thoughtful summary of the state of things. Since I just
popped up here recently with my opinions, I thought it might be useful to
introduce myself briefly, so people know where I'm coming from.

Starting in 2003, I began working at a startup in the SOAP/SOA world. We built
a product using Struts 1.1 which was "the best thing at the time".  And I
worked to overcoming its warts. I added flash scope, view models, and a number
of other things by extending the core struts processor. I started down the road
of creating some fancy-pants UI controls that would maintain their state
seemlessly across request cycles using a viewstate concept like ASP.NET. (I
abandoned this idea later, but want to give you an idea of the experiments I
did working with struts).  By the time the app was done we had a 1400+ line
struts.config file. I know the pains of struts well.

Since then I've gone looking for something better. While still at that company
we tried Grails, by bringing in the old app under a new grails app using the
grails-struts plugin. Grails was, well, disappointing. You never can get away
from the fact that groovy compiles to java before compiling to bytecode. The
amount of reflection that happens to make a single method call is astounding.
And then there's the magic stuff that appears in context somehow, and you have
noway of knowing without digging through the documentation. Which brings me to
rails.

I've tried to prototype a number of things in Rails, and for all its buzz about
being fast to develop, it never felt fast to me. The amount of time I spent
going through documentation to understand what's in context was frustrating.
I'm sure its super fast once you've spent a thousand hours learning it, but the
ramp-up time is deceiving. There are a number of good things to learn from the
design of the platform and the organization of community ecosystem however. (

(I won't bother covering my opinions about Springsource. Others have stated the
situation there well already)

So, when recently I needed to select a new web framework and was pointed to
Stripes by a former colleague and friend of mine I liked what I saw.  The
ability to customize Stripes is great (for the most part), the way it can be
made to work with other frameworks is great (for the most part).  But before
committing to using it for the next year or more, I would really like to see an
active community around it. Where there is a clear process for giving feedback,
submitting patches, and generally contributing. This is the one area that is
currently lacking. Yes, there are all the perception problems too that people
have discussed. But if those are solved and there is still no clear way to
contribute to the project, then the new interest won't turn into new activity.

Stripes isn't perfect, I'm looking at integrating a different db layer other
than hibernate, and I've found a few places I would like to be able to hook
that are not currently hookable. I would like to be able to have my validations
on my model classes and have them carried through to the view by Stripe's
validation layer.  But I don't know who to talk with to make these things
happen.

I've seen other projects come to forking the code when the current owners of
the project aren't able to continue or turn things over to others. That's
usually the last resort. I certainly don't have the time to become a core
maintainer on a project. But I do have time (and experience) to help a
community organize itself around a good purpose. And it sounds like continuing
the spirit of Stripes is a good purpose.

So with that, I hope to hear from the folks in the "core" currently.  I hope we
can engage in some discussion about what the next steps are with respect to
code ownership and the contribution process.

Thanks so much for all the work that been put into this project so far.

All the best,
Evan Leonard