On Apr 20, 2011, at 6:15 AM, Samuel Santos wrote:

> This is not a valid argument to me. I don't think that the amount of patches
> submitted is a decisive factor, it's all about organization.
> Lately, I've been working a lot with ShrinkWrap and Arquillian from JBoss. It
> were those two projects that made me move to and started loving GitHub, I've
> even start to commit code into ShrinkWrap so easy it was.
> Now, take a look at ShrinkWrap organization, it's exactly what we are trying
> to achieve here. A central place to have a project and its sub-projects or
> extensions. And plugins don't need to be (or must not be) on the Core project
> source code tree.
> Each plugin is maintained by its creator, not the core team. Have its
> developer lose interest and stop updating it, we can easily fork the project
> under Stripes organization and continue evolving it to remain compatible with
> later Stripes versions.

In my opinion, for the short to mid-term, these concepts can be handled
elegantly with the current toolset, perhaps some more process and a bit of wiki
work under the current umbrella. I don't see the current patch process as a
particularly high threshold to cross for submitting patches and changes. The
wiki can be used to organize projects and the maintainers of those projects can
submit patches. GitHub lets someone PULL patches, rather than have them pushed.
That's sounds like a great feature. But it's not a debilitating show stopper to
not have that feature, and I don't believe that the patch process is what keeps
people from contributing.

The patch process is less elegant and perhaps even more labor intensive than
something like GitHub, but since there's are so FEW patches, it's more an issue
for the maintainers than it is for the contributor. When that process becomes
more painful due to volume, then the time and effort to port over to something
like GitHub might well be worthwhile.

But I think it's worthwhile to see some activity first than move when the issue
really isn't there right now.

Regards,

Will Hartung