2011/4/20 Will Hartung <redro...@sbcglobal.net>

> My only concern is that the "community" can decide whatever it wants, but
> most of the time its Ben who gets to do the work. And voting to get more
> puppies for Ben to take care of isn't really fair to him. That's why I
> resist the inclusion of some of the existing external pieces in to the
> responsibility of the current maintainer.

Well, I get your point, even if it's a little off topic I think. You raise
an issue, but it already exists. Having the "official" extensions in the
codebase won't change the fundamental problem (Ben commiting 99% of the
code).
And again, I never said that *everything* has to end up in a common source
control. I just think that some of the extensions (parts that are in the
core and need externalization - e.g. Spring integration, or other stuff
likes StripesSecurity) have their place there.
Now for new extensions, stuff that is marginal etc, a separate project is
fine for me. That's just how it should be.

> It's admin drag on the end users/developers, but not the Stripes dev
> "team". Does it make Stripes harder to use?

Definitly. Some folks I know recently spent half a day setting up
Stripes/Hibernate/Security. IMHO, that's 3 and a half hours too much ! This
should be as simple as adding a dep to your pom (or if you push it like
Morten does, to type a command or two). And that's what "approved
extensions" mean to me : stuff that solves a common problem and has been
approved by the community.
>From then, I see no problem in shipping these extensions along the framework
(again, like everybody does).

As you mentioned if there is some core mechanism (either in the runtime or
> in the build) that makes integration of 3rd party modules easier and more
> consistent, AND those changes are straightforward and suitable for a 1.x
> release, then that may well be a good plan. That makes Stripes more puppy
> friendly but without the need to actually take them home.

That's exactly my point. As usual, you said it with better words :P

Cheers

Remi