You need not be working on a terminal system to use emacs.  I use the
Windows version of emacs on every contract I get, following the advice of
the authors of The Pragmatic Programmer, who advise you to pick one
cross-platform editor and learn it well, to the exclusion of all other
editors/IDEs if necessary.

Cheers,
Laird