On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Steve Raeburn wrote:

> Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 12:38:06 -0700
> From: Steve Raeburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Struts Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: When is the next release?
>
> Thanks for taking the time to explain in detail. The bit that was really
> confusing me was the idea of jumping from 1.1 to 1.2.1.
>
> I think there's got to be a 1.2.0, but I also think that it should be a
> stable, production quality release. People will infer that from the number,
> whether we like it or not.

There were only a very small number of people in Tomcat that didn't get
it.  And now we'll have both Tomcat and Apache HTTPD to point at for how
the process works, so it shouldn't take people very long.

> >From that, it would seem that there's still a requirement for betas/rcs
> before a minor version increment.

Actually, the revised approach we are discussing totally *eliminates* any
predeciding what quality we think a release should be branded with.  That
is discovered after the fact.  The only gating factors for a new release
should be:
* Whatever changes being factored in are at a stable point
* Documentation and release notes are up to date.

If we target roughly one 1.2.x release per month, we'll be doing very
well.

> Steve

Craig