The client sends a request which is routed to an Action. The Action
confers with the business model and internal application resources to
select a response, and to generate any resources the response may need.
The resources are forwarded to the JSP view for rendering, often with
the help of internal application resources (shared with the actions).
Application resources include the Action Mappings and things like
connection pools. These resources are usually initialized from a
configuration file or servlet.

I mostly making a disinction between internal application resources,
like Action Mapping, and other portions of the business logic, which
might be shared with other applications. In a MVC environment, the
latter should not be accessed directly by the view.