Ahhh, now I follow what you were saying.

I think both event dispatching mechanisms exist becuase they provide support
for semantically separate issues. The first form is notification that
something "interesting" just happened. The second form is the prevention of
placing an object into an invalid or inconsistent state.

Actually, this really goes back to the JavaBean specification where bound &
constrained properties are defined. This ultimately leads me to question
whether its appropriate, and beneficial to treat ActionForms as JavaBeans
(aka. java's component architecture for building modular software
components)?

The benefits for treating forms as Beans would generally be described as:
  1) are usable by programming tools
  2) follow a standard naming convention
  3) have a conscise public interface
  4) helps keep the learning curve shallow

To bean or not to bean, that is the question :)

Any other ideas or opinions on this?

-- Levi