Hello all.

I'm just getting to know Struts so please bear with me. I'm at this
dangerous point where I think I understand it and yet there's so much to
read and learn that it's gonna take me a while to feel confident. It's
nice to see a very active user and developer mailing list. Ted.your web
site has so much stuff. Thanks.

It is hard to know where to begin.

As I have looks at Struts, the framework that is provided is very
powerful (kudos to you all). The sequence of operations embedded in the
ActionServlet.process() method are at the heart of the logic that makes
this powerful. I'm looking for a way to extend or plug in additional
dynamic services to that sequence of operations without subclassing and
rewriting that method. For example, there have been contributors
suggesting security and exception handling capabilities (very worthwhile
and valuable services) that seems to require changes to the
ActionServlet. It would be nice to register one or more services with
the ActionServlet that confirm to a service interface that invoke
appropriate methods at each service point in the "process". This may
allow more pluggable services (security, etc.) to an existing web
application. Even some of the existing process points could be
transformed into services (form service, response service) to allow
those concerns to be extended or replaced.

Obviously, the ActionServlet base class would have to be modified to
allow for dynamic service support. I guess I'm querying to see if anyone
has had similar thoughts or has already implemented this kind of
generalized service support in Struts or is planning it for a release.
I'm willing to give it a shot but I'd rather reuse any valuable insight
or work that this group has already mustered. Thanks.

Bill Boland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]