From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 11:44 AM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/config ConfigRuleSet.java

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Anthony Martin wrote:

> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:01:41 -0800
> From: Anthony Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: cvs commit:
>     jakarta-struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/config  ConfigRuleSet.java
>
> How can data-source properties be deprecated in 1.0?  I didn't see any
> indication of that in either the examples or documentation or source code
> for that matter.

The "lib/struts-config_1_0.dtd" file (used to validate the format of your
configuration file) includes the following comment just above all the old
properties in the definition of the <data-source> element:

    WARNING:  The use of these attributes is deprecated.  You
    should use nested <set-property> elements to configure *all*
    properties of your data source implementation.

> I know these documentation is hard to maintain,

Ted, we probably need to mention this in the HTML docs -- the info that is
in the DTD file comments will answer tons of user questions, but I'd bet
most users don't even know it is there.

> so what do I do?  Here's my
> guess:
>
> <data-source>
>       <set-property property="key" value="FOO" />
>       <set-property property="autoCommit" value="false" />
>       <set-property property="description" value="Foo DataBase" />
>       <set-property property="driverClass"
> value="sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver" />
>       <set-property property="maxCount" value="8" />
>       <set-property property="minCount" value="0" />
>       <set-property property="url" value="jdbc:odbc:demodata" />
>       <set-property property="user" value="foo" />
>       <set-property property="password" value="bar" />
> </data-source>

You've got it right.  And this works today with 1.0 and 1.0.1.