On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On 21 Dec 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >   Update to avoid the use of deprecated Digester methods. Some deprecated
> >   methods are still used, but their replacements are not yet available in
> >   a released version of Digester. We don't want to depend on a new Digester
> >   release just for this, so leave them for now.
>
> Actually, our general rule has been that a final release of Struts 1.1
> *must* depend on updated final releases of the commons components.  There
> are other dependencies already on things that have been fixed in the
> nightly commons builds; we should assume that in cases like this.

Yes, I realise that we need to depend on appropriate final releases of
Commons components in 1.1 Final. What I didn't want to do was *require* a
new release of Digester for Struts *only* to fix deprecation warnings. I
don't track Digester as closely as I used to, so I don't know if there is
anything else post-1.3 that is needed for Struts.

> In the particular case of beanutils and digester, there is movement
> towards releases in the short term -- which is why I've been focused on
> the outstanding bugs there as well as in Struts itself.

Then perhaps we should go ahead and fix the remaining deprecation warnings
from Digester sooner rather than later?

> RELEASE MANAGER NOTE - you'll find that I tagged the Commons trees with a
> CVS version tag for the betas, so that one can reliably determine which
> commons code was included.  I suggest we do the same for b3.

I did this for b2, and plan to do the same for b3. I also intend to remove
commons-services in b3, but leave the source in contrib.

Talking of b3, I'm still waiting for feedback from the committers before I
post a revised release plan...

--
Martin Cooper