Greetings,

I wanted to offer some code if anyone is interested. I have seen many
discuss security on archives and wanted to offer an alternative to container
managed security.

I spent some time weighing out whether to use container managed security or
not and came to the conclusion that I would use a filter for security. There
were several inflexibilities in the spec for container managed security. I
wrote a security filter that functions very similar to container managed
security. It has an xml config file that is used to protect urls. There are
a few differences in the config and how you define protected areas and where
you are directed.

Basically there are three areas of greater flexibility.

1) you can define several security-constraint groups with different login
pages.
2) you can login easily without having to hit a secure page first
3) you can set up an app specific security realm. (This can also be
considered a limitation if you are maintaining cross context security, but
you could easily tie into a larger security system if this is needed)

Anyways, it is not the "standard" but it functions well and gives greater
freedom. I found container managed security to be a greater "hack" job when
I wanted to accomplish my goals. If anybody is interested I can post it for
review. It is certainly not mature and the code is fit for my current
situation with an eye to greater flexibility. I think that it could provide
a good starting point for a cross-container simple alternate solution to the
current container managed security.

P.S. I have to improve the documentation :-)

Thanks for your time,
Brandon Goodin
Phase Web and Multimedia
P (406) 862-2245