On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Struts-dev Newsgroup wrote:

> Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:10:01 -0800
> From: Struts-dev Newsgroup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Servlet 2.3 filter
>
> Subject: Re: Servlet 2.3 filter
> From: Bill Wohler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  ===
> "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > One potential gotcha, especially if you like MVC architectures like the
> > one Struts advocates -- filters are only invoked on the original request,
> > not on RequestDispatcher.forward() methods.  In retrospect, that probably
> > wasn't the best approach for *our* purposes, but we have to live with it
> > for now.
>
>   That had just occurred to us as well. Any suggestions welcome.

I would ask the same thing (suggestions and ideas) in reverse as well.

In the design for JavaServer Faces (I'm on the Expert Group for JSR-127),
this issue makes it complicated to deal with UI events that are associated
with a page, when you don't know what page will be displayed when the
request starts (i.e. the MVC based app pattern).  I'm not satisfied with
our current technical approaches to this ...